Love YOU some YOU!

Hello young world!
I recently read two articles from two plus size fashion blogs that I follow about confidence (Diary of a Fatshionista and Frantic Dreams). It's kinda inspiring to hear other women's stories about their confidence and how they gained it. Unlike those beautiful ladies, I don't have lots of people emailing me about how I became so fabulous.  However, I did feel inspired to discuss that topic because it comes up alot in conversations that I have with other women.  So with that being said I decided to share my story...
Now my story is very much like everyone else's... I was always the tallest biggest girl in my classes, I got picked on, called fat, blah blah blah. I didn't really embrace myself until I was a Sophmore in college. I was 19 and was getting over my first real heartbreak.  At some point during that time I decided that it was time that I started loving me.

Wise words from my mommy: "No one will love you like you love you!"



During my journey to becoming a more confident me, I learned the importance of appreciating every little small detail about myself.  Everything that used to bother me about myself such as my heavy southern accent (Weeeesssssuup!), my name (Tandrika- pronounced TAN-Dree-KAH), my height (6'0 in flip flops), and my lisp are now beautiful to me because they are things about me that make me who I am.
As I get older,  I learn different things about myself that make me proud to be who I am.  I am a nerd that loves to travel and learn new things.  I love changing my hair and wearing weave but I feel my sexiest when I'm rocking my enormous 'fro. I'm terrible at managing my money because I love to shop (Whatever! YOLO!).  I'm sure you see where I'm going with this...
My advice to any woman trying to build her confidence is to learn to appreciate the little things about you or make up in your mind that you will change it.  Be in control of your own happiness...
More wise words from The Mother: "If you don't like it, Change it!"
Pick on yourself a little bit.  OWN everything about you... flaws and all.  Stand in the mirror naked and do sexy poses.  Smile at yourself more often.  Dress up. Dress down.  Surround yourself with people that support and nurture you.  This includes social networks online.  I'm inspired daily by the fabulous women I follow and the women that follow me.

Most importantly, throw away all those FUCKS and DAMNS you used to give.  Do whatever you want to do.  Wear what you want to wear and make it work for you.  Once you get rid of all your fucks and damns, it'll make it alot easier. :-) Pinky Swear...

Now let's start a conversation... What makes you more confident?

2 comments

  1. I LOVE this post! Good job! Self confidence is so important! I'm often asked about or complimented on mine. I've always had this "way" about me. I think it comes from my mom telling us (I have two sister and I had a brother) how beautiful and wonderful we are!She helped built that confidence in us and it stuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! Moms are great! It feels good to always have a strong support system ;-)

      Delete